First Conklin Award presented to police academy cadet
On Dec. 15, the Rockland County Police Academy graduated 27 new police
officers. During the ceremony, graduate Police Officer Jesse Smelly of
teh NYS Palisades Interstate Park Police Department received the first
Jason D. Conklin Memorial Award, which honors an outstanding cadet.
Conklin was June graduate of RCPA. He died in the line
of duty on Aug 21, in Tuxedo Park.
The award, established by Village of Suffern Officer Edward Dolan,
a fellow classmate and friend of Conklin's, recognizes a recruit with qualities
that emulate much of what was loved about Jason, according to a press release.
The recruit should :
- - Stand above his/her peers n improving himself/herself physically
- - Take great pride in their personal appearance by setting an example
of professional decorum, that his/her fellow recruits should strive to
- - Consistently and selflessly volunteer personal time for the benfit
of the class.
- - A recruit whose behavior and attitude inspires friendship and camraderie
- - Someone who jumps at the opportunity to take on any challenge without
complaint or excuse.
These are some of the trats Conklin possessed while in the academy,